Workplace: they have noticed me!


Today at work, Royce pulled me aside to say that the big bosses (higher up than Joe) had been in town, and had really noticed how Joe speaks down to me. They had confronted him about it, and it was being discussed as a "big deal" behind closed doors.

I was really glad to hear it. Honestly, I had thought seriously about quitting, and already have my resume out to several other employers, based on his treatment. 

"If he speaks to you that way in public, I can't imagine what he says behind closed doors!" 

"What do you mean?"

"Well, last night," Royce related. 

It was the end of a rather long day of working hard, doing my best, and being endlessly criticized for everything. As I dragged myself up the stairs to change and go home, Joe came up behind me and loudly said something like, 

"Holy f---! What a mess! Do you let your bathroom at home get this messy?!" In the bathroom, the paper-towels were stacked up high in the trash can.

I was doubly offended: it was not specifically my job to clean the bathroom. Everyone (including Joe) should pitch in. I had been busy all day: literally not even taking my government-required breaks. Sure, I could have cleaned it: but it's not like I had just been sitting around all day. Also, this was not the first time that Joe had commented on my conduct outside of work. 

What I do when I get home is my own damn business, I thought angrily to myself. 

But out-loud I said flatly, "I'll change the garbage tomorrow."

I had had enough, it was punch-out time, and I wasn't about to stay another ten minutes under Joe's thumb, just to change a garbage can.

After I left, apparently, one of the bosses angrily said to Joe, "Well, who's tying your damn hands? Why don't you change the garbage?"

Nice. 

Also, the higher bosses had noticed how I work diligently and intelligently. Unlike Kim, I have made very few mistakes, and they have noticed. 

This is very encouraging news to me, and it validates the idea that there is justice in the world. People see through narcissists. You don't need to confront them, out them, or fight them. Just keep working hard, and stay faithful. And they will out themselves. 

At least, this will work if your workplace is not toxic right to the top. Although Joe is a narcissist, there are some very good people in leadership at my workplace. I am glad to hear that.

***

Towards the end of the day, I asked Royce why he didn't just accept the position of leadership here at the plant? He sighed and launched into a long explanation of a very bad experience he had a few months back. He had accepted the position, but was not technically called "the boss" by upper management. He had no title, and no pay increase, but all the responsibility. 

Nobody obeyed or respected him, and the stress really got to him. Soon, he was in such bad shape physically and mentally that he had to quit and went on stress leave for a time. "I'll not do that again," he concluded. "I sure would like it if you were my boss one day, though!" He concluded that he had requested for Joe to come, and despite his frustrations with him, Joe did keep things running.

It was a strange sort of conversation, because I had to admit that were I in Royce's position, I am not exactly sure how I would reign in lazy and disobedient employees. What would I do? Glare at them in disapproval as they played Candy Crush on their phones? What if they just ignored me?

Joe, for all his odiousness, can rely on his narcissistic rage, insults, put-downs, and triangulation. It is a toxic workplace, but at least...it works. In a way.

These thoughts are very confusing to myself. Am I coming around to admitting that narcissism in the workplace is...a good thing? 

No, not a good thing. They almost lost me, a very good employee. And Royce also keeps talking about how Joe makes him want to quit. 

...but, a useful thing. I can see how it is useful. I can see why bosses so often promote narcissists to leadership. 

These situations are certainly food for thought...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 6 thoughts

The Scapegoat

Meeting my pastor/mentor

Sowing and reaping...

21 rules of no contact

Gifts in wartime