Dream: chased by super-mom (Aug. 27)

I had a dream sometime this summer.

We had watched super-girl before bed. In the movie, there is a powerful “mother-in-law” character who is seeking to destroy and enslave  the world.

In my dream, I had been given the series of power, and was flying strongly over my city, when the mother-in-law saw me. I fled and hid.

But she found me instantly.

I hid again, and again. Every time, she found me.

Then, I flew into a house, into a building, and hid in a closet from my childhood, with a sheet over me.

I heard her steps approach. Her hands rested on my head and followed my neck and shoulders over the sheet. Her hands were soft, but in total control. She had found me.

It was all over.

As I woke from the dream, part of my mind said, “but you have the sword of power! Her abdomen is right there! You could wound her, and make her go away!”

But the louder part of my mind said, “but I don’t want to hurt her.”

I woke feeling very confused, hurting, and controlled.

** Interpretation **

Later, I discussed this dream with my counsellors. It was interesting that my subconscious chose a mother in law to represent my mother. Perhaps this was because at this time, I felt no mothering, only control. Also, it chose this figure because she was extremely powerful. In the movie, she almost destroys the entire world. She does so through subtle and sneaky attacks, then displays of raw power and pitiless destruction. She also knew exactly where to find me, and I never seemed to be able to escape.

But I was actually stronger than her. My mind made up a sword of power, which was not a part of the SuperGirl universe. I think what that represented was that I actually had all the power. It was my life, my kids, my house, my time we were talking about. I can chose.

But what was holding me back? I didn’t want to hurt her. In later sessions, I would realize just how much of a weapon tuts was: how much my mom had convinced me that I would hurt her if I didn’t do exactly what she told me she needed, and how much I was controlled by that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 6 thoughts

The Scapegoat

Meeting my pastor/mentor

Signed Affidavit

Sowing and reaping...

21 rules of no contact