Taking a break

Yesterday, I woke up with an ethical dilemma on my hands. My first day off I felt a tickle in my throat, and some pressure in my chest. But on the second day off, I woke up with half my face feeling very stuffy. I gave an experimental cough and could feel the phlegm in my chest.

Throughout the day, it was evident that I had a cold. I’m not worried about covered, but the guidelines are pretty clear that I am not go to work if I have a sore throat or cold of any kind. It is what I would expect of others, if they are feeling sick.

Rather than call in sick, I pulled in a favour and got a friend to cover my shift. I spent the whole day napping. And nap in the morning, and afternoon, and still slept eight hours. Today, it was the same. Morning nap, afternoon nap. I’m feeling a bit better, but still sluggish.

Again, I am not worried about Covid. There’s not a reasonable way that I could have been infected (although I suppose nobody is save these days, especially since everyone has to go out sometimes club). However, what this has underlined for us is that I have just been pushing far too hard for too long. It is starting to catch up with me.

In an age when a sniffle can me and time off of work, I need to be more careful with my energy.

For months now I have been working full-time, plus having a very full-time schedule of logging and working on deep emotional issues.

I can’t completely stopped this journey. However, one thing I can stop is just stop writing everything down.

This pains me, because I really feel passionately about my blog. I think it is a great use, and will help a lot of people. But I think I might need to get healthy without keeping a record of it for a time. Journalling is a form of rehashing trauma, and it is emotionally taxing. Also, clearly, it takes time. Time I could be relaxing with family, or simply sleeping.

And so this may be the last post for a while. Right now, I just need to rest up and get well. And pull through this next time, to be healthy in every sense on the other side of it.

(Note to readers: since there is a delay in posting, posts will continue. However, I took five full days off from blogging, then eased into it, as you will notice from the dates of blog posts)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 6 thoughts

The Scapegoat

Meeting my pastor/mentor

Gifts in wartime

Sowing and reaping...

21 rules of no contact