How does one make a narcissistic mother “go away” in a social media world?

I am a blogger/podcaster/etc. My mom was always my biggest fan. 🙄 But plenty of others found my material interesting too: I have a large following on social media channels. I have been actively working to establish my “brand” online. Recently, I have been getting into emotional health, and growing past my codependent tendencies. Tensions began rising with my parents, but I didn't see the connection. I developed an irrational fear that "someone out there was out to get me," and began censoring my own content, until almost nothing was going out (got some great content just taking up space on my hard drive). In the last couple months, I have blocked my mom on facebook, and blocked her from commenting on my blog. What a relief! However, it was short lived because when I did post, she sent me an angry, manipulative e-mail gaslighting memories I had mentioned in the post, and trying to control and shame me.

I’m between a rock and a hard place. Do I just keep “grey stoning” her, as I have been for the past eight months? But then I am basically  turning off my public life, and forget about my online brand.

So should I keep developing great content, and just forget about her? But then I’m giving her fuel, and her obsession with me will just grow. Also, she’s hard to forget about when she sends me relentless e-mails. It is disturbing how she twists things: really makes you think twice about sharing “from the heart.” Also, since she has already hinted at taking me to court to force me to give her time with her grandkids, I am wary of sharing ANY personal info online: “Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of insantiy.”

I have thought of writing under a pseudonym. [This was before I launched this blog] But then what about my online brand? So far, it has been attached to my name. And also seems unfair to subscribers, who have followed me for over a decade, if I switch to something new and don’t tell them. (If I tel them, of course, my mom would know, since she’s subscribed to EVERYWHERE I am online…and there usually isn’t a way to unsubscribe just one person) Also, there would be the chance that she would find out about it one day, and then if I had shared without her in mind, she may have access to even MORE damning materials.

I keep thinking I should “just act natural,” and forget she even exists. But that’s pretty hard to do, when you have an enemy, who is obsessed with you, who can and will search through hours of content to find that one thing you said, and then hold on to that for an indefinite amount of time, when it can really hurt you, and then use it against you. So that knowledge makes me just want to shut the hell up. BUT, I am a damn interesting guy, and I have a lot to say. Am I really going to let my mom ruin my life, and cripple my potential to become a recognized online content developer, and author?

I have this vague shadowy idea of “punching the bully in the nose” with her: but I don’t know if it would work, or how exactly to do it? I mean, could I just flood my channels with so much content that she would hate, and would send her into narcissistic fits of rage (which I would ignore) until she #justcanteven, and leaves me alone?

Does this even make sense to anybody else?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I would love to hear your insights. Thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 6 thoughts

The Scapegoat

Gifts in wartime

Sowing and reaping...

Review: A Christian's Guide to No Contact

21 rules of no contact